Frequently Asked Questions
We have been supplying custom made mouthguards to Dentists for many years so there really is no difference. Except… we offer you the opportunity to personalise your own, both in colour and design, as well as having a wide selection of KAOS branded and non-branded guards available.
Q. What is the difference between each of your mouthguard products?
The only difference there is with any of our mouthguards (besides colour & design) is the thickness. All of our mouthguards are available in 4 or 5 mm thicknesses, their suitability for protection depends upon the sport you play.
Q. What is the difference between your custom made mouthguards and a boil & bite?
A custom made mouthguard is made from an actual plaster cast impression of your teeth so therefore the fit is precise. A boil & bite is standard made (one size fits all) and can only be modelled to your teeth by emerging in hot water, this may give you a close fit but not exact.
Q. Can I have my own design/sponsor logo?
Yes. We have a product range called “CREATE KAOS” where you can design your own mouthguard and if you want you can upload your own images. All we ask is that your image is of high res and/or good quality.
Q. Will the mouthguard make me gag?
We have worked hard with a number of athletes on developing a perfect fit for the areas of the mouth that need the protection most. We discovered you do not need take the mouthguard all the way to the very back teeth so therefore it has the minimum effect on the gag reflex whilst you are wearing it.
Q. What if I have missing teeth?
Missing teeth will not affect you having a custom made mouthguard or from taking the home impression.
Q. Why have I received two impression trays?
As everyone’s mouths are different we provide all kits with two impression trays which are different sizes. Just use the tray that fits you the best. Return the unused tray to us along with the one your finished impression is on.
Q. Why have I received 2 x coloured and 2 x white putty?
This is simply for giving everyone a second chance should it be needed. If your impressions work the first time just return any unused putty, trays and empty pots to us along with your impressions. See our guide
Q. What do I do if I think my impressions are no good?
Your impressions should always show a clear imprint of both the teeth and gum line with no drag marks. If you are unsure about your impressions you can send pictures to us and we can advise you over email or phone, then if needed a second set of putty will be dispatched to you free of charge. If after the second attempt further putty is needed, there will be an additional charge of £5.00 for each additional set of putty.
Q. What can I do if I lose the instructions before taking my impressions?
Our step by step instructions can be found on this website, alternatively you can contact us and we can either email you a PDF version or post them out to you.
Q. Do you provide international delivery?
Yes, we do offer international delivery however this will incur an extra postage charge when you checkout.
Q. Do I have to pay for the postage?
We cover all the postage costs. A free post label will be provided in your impression kit to return your impressions to the lab. (We send all of our post via Royal Mail 1st class)
Q. I have sent my impressions back, how long will it take to receive my mouthguard?
Once your impressions are received into the lab we aim to manufacture and dispatch your mouthguard within 5-7 working days.
Q. Can I track my order?
Unfortunately as everything is posted through Royal Mail 1st class, tracking services are unavailable.
Q. What happens if I don’t receive my mouthguard?
It is very rare that this happens but if it does please contact us. Also we advise that you contact your local sorting office or check if you have been carded by Royal Mail, finished mouthguards will be sent out in boxes so therefore, may not fit through your letterbox.
Who/what is the product suitable for?
- This product is only suitable for those over the age of 9 years old
- If you have any Crown & Bridge work, or if you are undergoing orthodontic treatment please contact us before you carry out your impressions as it could affect your dental work.
- If you wear Dentures our product will only be suitable if you have some of your own teeth present as this will enable you to hold the mouthguard in place (impressions must be taken without the Denture in place).
- Our mouthguards are suitable for all sports but we highly recommend a 5mm thick mouthguard for head contact sports.
Healthy & Safety
- Made with EVA polymers (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate), they do not contain BPA (Bisphenol A) they are made with non-Nano Tec materials and are non-toxic.
- Our home impression kit is also BPA free and the putty is non-toxic and acceptable for inter oral use.
- Mouthguards should only be cleaned using cool/cold water.
- We recommend cleaning your mouthguard before and after every use. The most hygienic way to keep your mouthguard clean & fresh would be to soak after every use in an all in one cleaner and disinfectant (which is available in our More Kaos section).
- We advise that your mouthguard is replaced 1-2 years. Should it become damaged then replacement should be immediate.
- Children between the ages of 9-16 years may need to replace their mouthguard more frequently. This is due to progressive development of the jaw/mouth.